Saturday, November 22, 2008

Smooshie!


One of my early childhood friends from 'home' had an interesting saga with a walrus. He is a trainer at Marineland in Niagara Falls Ontario. One of the walruses took a liking to him which attracted a lot of media and research attention. His story spawned alot of reasearch into imprinting capabilities of animals after they had a relatively stressful experience. One should check out his myspace site for more information. The last time I spoke to him Smooshie had been returned to live with the rest of the seals at the facilities because smooshie is now fully grown up. Anyways, I just thought this was a nice little post to put...somehow related to ocean creatures.

2 comments:

CBEMN said...

This is a great post! I went to Marineland for the first time with my kids last year (I swore that I would never go when I lived there because the god-awful television jingle was implanted in my brain). But we had a great time and I was impressed. Now I wonder if I saw "smooshie". I also wonder what the story with his name is.
Cathy

terrestrial endosymbiont said...

He called her "Smooshie" because I guess when she first "fell in love with Phil" she smooshed her face into him all the time....hence SMOOSHIE!
And if you went to see the whale show he most likely ran that program.